Space Solar Power Symposium 2022 at ISDC May 26-27. Full schedule below.
On behalf of the National Space Society (NSS), we invite you to participate in the Space Solar Power Symposium of the 40th Annual International Space Development Conference® (ISDC® 2022) at Hyatt Crystal City Hotel, Arlington, Virginia, U.S.A., from May 26-27, 2022 as well as the rest of the Conference May 27-29, 2022 (http://isdc2022.nss.org). The ability to provide power and ancillary services when and where needed is essential to virtually all aspects of human endeavor. It is enabling for any form of space development/settlement. Space solar power technology promises to be one of the few energy generation options that can provide dispatchable power that can scale dramatically. While Space Solar Power is not a panacea, it can be an integral part of the mix of environmentally benign solutions needed to meet worldwide electrical energy demand both on the planet and off.
Using space solar power and allied technologies to foster an expanding space economy and sphere of human influence, the “Cislunar Marketplace” – a cooperative, collaborative, and competitive ecosystem of entities engaged in space development is a path to achieving the “promise of the future.” The combination of contributors, including national programs, commercial investments, university research programs, non-profit organization projects, inspired billionaires, and individuals who bring unique talents/resources, bias the opportunities towards success.
This year’s Space Solar Power Symposium will be a multidisciplinary dynamic forum focusing on understanding the current endeavors and engaging the technical audience in a collaborative discussion of approaches to achieving modular end-to-end Space Solar Power Systems for different venues. The Symposium will draw out opportunities for coordination, cooperation, collaboration, and competition as we advance. The Space Solar Power Symposium begins Thursday at 9:00 am, May 26th, 2022 (the day before ISDC 2022 formal opening). The symposium agenda includes:
- Space Solar Power Contributor Presentations,
- International Academy of Astronautics (IAA) Space Solar Power Committee is kicking off an ongoing collaborative architectural charrette / white board session on different modular approach of an end-to-end system and reverse engineering paths to fielding the same,
- Space Solar Power Policy Panel, in conjunction with the Space Policy track, and
- 2022 International Space Solar Power Student Competition presentations of new research in the field
The symposium schedule is attached. Schedule updates will be posted on the ISDC 2022 website URL: http://isdc2022.nss.org
- You will need to complete your conference registration at the following URL: https://isdc2022.nss.org/
- Please make your hotel reservations as soon as possible.
The annual ISDC conference is part of NSS’s ongoing local, regional, national, and international efforts to foster humanity’s progress onward and upward as a spacefaring civilization. The conference programming – including summits, symposia, workshops, and networking opportunities – emphasizes the people, tools, and skills needed to expand civilization into space. For the latest conference updates, additional hotel information, and other event details, please visit the conference website at http://isdc2022.nss.org.
Thursday, May 26th, 2022
- 8:00 am ISDC/Symposium Registration*
- 8:30 am Opening Remarks – John C. Mankins & Gary P. Barnhard, Co-chairs
- 9:00 am National Programs
- Naval Research Lab (NRL) – Elias Wilcoski /NRL (or alternate)
- Air Force Research Lab (AFRL) – Peter Garretson**/AFPC
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration – See Friday
- Space Energy Initiative (UK) – Martin Soltau**/Frazer-Nash è Live Virtual Presentation
- Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) – Koji Tanaka/JAXA
- European Space Agency (ESA) – Leopold Summerer è Live Virtual Presentation
- China Academy of Space Technology (CAST) – Xinbin Hou** (or alternate)) è Live Virtual Presentation
- 12:00 n Working Lunch
- 1:00 pm Commercial/Academic Programs & Projects
- SPS Alpha – John Mankins/Mankins Space Technology
- Cassiopeia – Ian Cash**/International Electric Company Limited (or alternate) è Live Virtual Presentation
- End-to-End Frequency Agnostic Remote Power & Ancillary Services – Gary Barnhard/XISP-Inc
- How to Finance Space Based Solar Power and the Impact of Blended Financing — Kevin Barry/Light Bridge
- Micro & Millimeter Wave Beaming – Hooman Kazemi**/Raytheon Technologies
- Always On Solar Power – Edward Tate**/Virtus Solis
- Long Range Wireless Technology – Greg Kushnir**/Emrod
- Power Grid In Space – Keval Dattani**/Space Power
- A Comprehensive Outlook for Cis-Lunar Development, Space Solar Power, Energy, Our Environment and Earth’s Swiftly Changing Global Climate – Darel Preble/Space Solar Power Institute
- Space technology as a key element of more rational, effective climate policy – Paul Werbos/Independent Researcher
- 7:00 pm Group Dinner (Hotel Restaurant)
- 10:00 pm ISDC After-hours networking reception
Friday, May 27th, 2022
- 8:30 am Nikolai Joseph, Office of Technology, Policy, and Strategy, NASA
- 10:00 am International Academy of Astronautics (IAA) Space Solar Power Committee’s introduction to the collaborative architectural charrette / whiteboard session on different modular approaches to an end-to-end systems and reverse engineering paths to fielding them.
- 12:00 n ISDC Lunch/Speaker*, Kathryn Lueders, Associate Administrator, Space Operations Mission Directorate, NASA
- 2:00 pm Space Solar Power Policy Panel crossover with Space Policy track (Steve Wolf)
- 3:15 pm 2022 International Space Solar Power Student Competition presentations of new research in the field
- 6:00 pm ISDC Atrium Reception
- 7:00 pm NSS Governors’ Dinner*/Speaker, Jeff Greason, Chief Technologist & Co-Founder, Electric Sky
- 10:00 pm ISDC After-hours networking reception
* Please remember that all Symposium attendees must register separately for the ISDC 2022 conference, conference meals, special events, and lodging via the conference website at http://isdc2022.nss.org. Please register as soon as possible to ensure availability.
** Invited but not yet confirmed.